Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Hijos del Señor, Venid

Hola familia! 

Another COLD week in the Chicago missionary life! This morning we got up a little earlier to go teach seminary again. It went really well! We taught about Doctrine and Covenants 60-62. It's an account of some of the first missionaries with Joseph Smith as the church was just beginning to grow and how the Lord asked them to open their mouths and share the gospel to all they met. I love in section 62 where the Lord comforts them and reassures them that He is with them as they do His work. It's the same with us today! You don't have to be a full time missionary to share your testimony and as you do so the Lord will be right there with you. All you have to do is have faith and OPEN YOUR MOUTH and He will help you to bless the lives of many. 

So we've gotten a lot of snow here in Chicago! It's getting nice and freezing but we're doing our best to stay warm! All this snow makes for great service opportunities. Let's just say our snow shovels are being put to good use. 

On Tuesday night someone that the elders have been teaching got baptized! I'm so happy for him and was so touched when he shared his testimony after he got baptized and said that he wants to go on a mission now too. After the baptismal service the relief society provided some refreshments and it was pretty funny because once someone catches you without food they will usually bring you a plate. Well President and Sister Woodbury were just about to leave after they said hi to everyone but sweet little Columbian Ludivia from the ward caught them and had them sit down and eat. Then she kept going into the kitchen and bringing out more food for them and Hermana Gonzalez and I were translating what Ludivia was saying each time she came out. So we got to hang out with the Woodburys a little longer which was pretty fun.

On Wednesday we had Zone training! I always love zone meetings we learn so much! We were at the church basically ALL day on Wednesday because we had our quarterly interviews with president afterwards. Before the meeting they always ask us to prepare a short talk and they'll call on someone during the meeting to share it with everyone. Well we didn't get the topic until the night before and I figured since I got called on last time I would be able to get away with it but of course not! The zone leaders called on me AGAIN. But it all went well and I came up with something to share from my studies and I'm pretty happy with how it went. I really loved my interview with president. At the end he gave me a blessing and I really felt comfort from our Heavenly Father. I know He has big plans and I intend to keep working hard and exercising my faith to make sure I do everything He would have me do. I love the priesthood and I'm thankful for worthy priesthood leaders. 

On Friday we went to visit one of the members and we were able to share a message of the restoration with her son who is not a member of the church. It was definitely a miracle! We visit her all the time and this was the first time that he sat down and actually listened. I'm so thankful for that tender mercy and I hope that we can continue to teach him a little more.

Yesterday after church we tried to find some potential investigators and knocked some doors. In between each place Hermana Gonzalez and I were really enjoying being in the snow. We wanted to see who could slide the longest so we both got a running start and Hermana Gonzalez most certainly won because I had myself a nice visit with the ground. The bruise on my hip is quite the piece of art. 

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great week! I'm sorry I didn't really take any pictures this week but if I take any good ones today I'll be sure to send them your way! I love you all so much and I love being a missionary and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with the people here. This church is true. I know that our Savior Jesus Christ is at the head of the church and this is where we can find true joy and happiness. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real and through the Atonement we can overcome ALL things and be truly happy. I love my Savior and my Father in Heaven and want everyone to know about it! Have an awesome week and please please please!.....

Keep smiling,

Hermana Knowles :) 

Hijos del Señor, Venid is definitely one of my favorites right now! 
Página 26 de los himnos 

Hijos del Señor, venid en acuerdo a cantar. Alabanzas ya rendid al Señor, que reinará.En el mundo sólo ̮habrá gran felicidad y paz. Hombres ya no pecarán; paz y vida gozarán.

Cuando veamos al Señor en Su gloria descender, dando fin a la maldad,¡oh, qué tiempo de placer! ¡Oh, qué cantos de amoralzaremos al Señor! ¡Oh, qué gozo reinará! Nuestro miedo huirá.

Revestidos de amor viviremos en verdad. Cánticos de gran loor alzaremos con bondad. Con el mundo limpio ya, todo ser la paz tendrá; de amor rebosará, y en gozo morará.

(For non-Spanish speakers this is Hymn #58 Come, Ye Children of the Lord)

No comments:

Post a Comment