Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015: My Year as a Missionary

Hola familia! 

So this week was full of knocking doors and trying to find people to teach! We had a cool experience on Tuesday while we were knocking. We were about to leave the building we were knocking but we saw another door with a religious bumper sticker on it so we decided to knock there too. The people we met are this super sweet family from India. The dad came to the door and told us that he is a pastor and thought it was so great that we were sharing a message of Jesus Christ so he invited us to come in! We sat in the living room with him, his wife, and two daughters and shared a little about the Book of Mormon and ended up giving them a copy. They loved our message and were so thankful that we knocked their door. They are so kind! The mom brought out some grape juice and almonds for us and the daughters even played the keyboard and sang us a song they learned at church! After they sang Hermana Gonzalez mentioned that I can play the piano too so the dad wouldn't let us leave until I played and sang a song for them. It was a pretty awkward but cool experience. I played the keyboard while Hermana Gonzalez and I sang Nearer My God To Thee. 

There's a less active family we visit every Tuesday and I absolutely love them! Hermana y Hermano Santos are the best! We went to see them and we couldn't stay for long because we had another appointment and they had a bunch of family over but Hermana Santos had two little Christmas gifts for us it was so nice of her! 

On New Year's Eve we had district meeting then we went over to the mission office to turn in Yareli's baptismal record and we visited with the senior missionaries for a few minutes while we were there. They're so great! One of the missionaries posted a picture of our awesome senior missionaries with just a portion of all the Christmas packages. It's great I'll send it in my pictures email. We spent the rest of New Year's Eve knocking doors and trying to find people and even though it was way cold we had a good time. 

On New Year's Day we had lunch with the Trentini family! They're the ones from Brazil I love them! Sometimes while we're talking with them they'll just start talking in Portuguese and it gets really confusing because I feel like they just kind of expect us to know what they're saying. It's pretty funny. I'm pretty sure we'll visit with them again this week and I'm way excited to be in their home again! 

Remember a couple months back when I shared that experience about the kid Hermana Michael and I met on the street? Where we drove past him and felt we needed to turn around and talk to him and ended up giving him a Book Of Mormon? Well we hadn't seen him in a while so we just decided to stop by his house and his parents let us in! They are the sweetest people! We got to catch up with Luis and talk a little more about the Book Of Mormon and what we do as missionaries. He seemed really interested and said he really wants to start reading the Book Of Mormon to find out if it's true. Right now seems to be a pretty busy time for his family but hopefully we'll be able to visit with them again soon!

Our downstairs neighbor Sister Jensen absolutely loves family history and when I told her I had a relative from Chicago she thought that was awesome and looked him up! We found out that he is buried only about 8 miles south of where we live! So for P-day today we went down to the cemetery and visited the grave of my great great great grandpa, Harry Forbes! It was so cool! Everything was covered in snow so it took us a little while to find. Hermana Gonzalez and I split up to find it faster and I remember being a few headstones down and looking at his grave thinking, "That one's grandpa Harry." It was such an awesome feeling when I brushed off the snow and saw his last name, Forbes. 

Well this entire year I will be a missionary! I am most definitely looking forward to what's in store on my mission. I know that the Lord has prepared people to learn about His gospel and I will work so hard and do all I can to bring this happiness and joy into their lives. This church is true. No matter what trials we all go through in life, the Gospel of Jesus Christ can help. It is the source of true joy and I want more than anything to share it with everyone here on my mission. Our Savior lives and loves us and because of His atoning sacrifice we are able to overcome all things and one day return to live with Him and our Father in Heaven again. I love this gospel and I love you all! I'm so excited for this year! 2015 as a missionary. 

Keep smiling,

Hermana Knowles

Hermana Trujillo just finished her mission! She's so great! And I
decided to wear contacts for the first time on the mish haha. It was
super weird.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment