Monday, November 24, 2014

Fear Not I Am With Thee

Hola familia! 

This week went pretty well! Wednesday was awesome because we had zone conference! It was so good! They focused a lot on: Fear not I am with thee. Basically about how as missionaries we shouldn't be afraid because our Savior is always by our side as we do His work. They tied this in really well with talking to people on the street, or contacting. How we shouldn't fear about what they're going to say but that it is our responsibility as a representative of Jesus Christ to give EVERYONE the opportunity to hear the message of His restored gospel. We did an activity where we had to role play contacting someone but each person was asked to put a bandaid on the hairiest part of your arm and then right before we started the role play we had to rip it off. Then we were asked to put the bandaid back on the same spot and do it again but of course the second time it really didn't hurt at all. Sometimes it's really hard to just stop someone on the street and talk to them but if we just do it then it will be easier to talk to the next person and then the next and the next! Let me just say, I've talked to so many people since then and it wasn't so easy at first but now I'm starting to love it! Yeah it's rough to get rejected but then there's those people who are genuinely thankful you took the time to stop them and give them a card and it's all worth it. And the Lord is by our side each step of the way! When we are on the Lord's errand we are entitled to His help. 

We had an appointment with our progressing investigator and it didn't go quite as planned. At the beginning she said that she has been feeling some doubts and that she feels she's losing the desire to keep learning. It tore my heart to pieces to hear that. We asked her why she liked having us over and she said that she always feels so calm when we're in her home and that she really feels that the Book of Mormon is true. I asked her how she knew the Book of Mormon was true and she said she prayed about it and felt a peace and calm and that Heavenly Father answered her prayers. I shared with her Doctrine and Covenants 6:22-23: "22 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.
23 Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?" There are always going to be times that try our faith but as we stay strong and see things from a heavenly perspective we can endure and find lasting happiness through the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. He will help us obtain that testimony and through the trial of our faith it can be made stronger. Heavenly Father knows us best and He will never leave us comfort less. 

Saturday was kind of crazy but it ended up going really well! Hermana Gonzalez went to her former area with her old companion to see someone they worked with get baptized! So while they were gone I went with the other companion to their area. They serve in the Lake Shore YSA ward, English speaking! It was way fun. Kind of weird, but fun haha. Their area is MUCH closer to the city so there are people walking around everywhere! It's so awesome I got to talk to so many people! We hung out with one of their investigators, Marc. He's from Liberia and has lived in Chicago for about 4 months now I think. I took a picture with him in from of some graffiti! While we were walking down the street with Marc I noticed a lady a little ways in front of us who was struggling with her groceries. So I ran ahead and asked her if I could help and she was so thankful. I took half of them and as we walked to her apartment I got to know her a little and shared with her a small message about our Savior. She said she was having kind of a rough day and she was so thankful for my help. She said she's talked with missionaries before but never had the time to meet with them. I asked her if she wanted the sisters information and she gladly accepted. I LOVE SERVICE. 

The primary program is FINALLY next Sunday! STOKED. 

Well I absolutely love being a missionary. It's not always easy but it most certainly is always worth it. I know this church is true. I love my Father in Heaven and Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that our families can be together forever and that the priesthood is the power of God here on the earth. I love the people of Chicago and there's no where I'd rather be. I love you all and I hope everyone has the best week! Please never forget to... Keep smiling :)

Hermana Knowles
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment