Monday, November 3, 2014

Israel, Jesús os llama

Hola familia y amigos! 
 
I was actually pretty sick this entire last week but I'm doing much better now! Although I was sick we still went out and saw some progress in the area. On Wednesday night we were out knocking some doors and looking for former investigators. At the last door we knocked we saw these two men talking to each other while one of them was raking his leaves a few houses down. We decided to go talk to them and offer to help rake their leaves. Eventually after some discussion we set a time the next day where we would come back and rake his leaves. When we came back on Thursday we brought some English Elders with us because this man doesn't speak Spanish. He wasn't home at first so we raked his leaves in the meantime. When he came home he was very thankful for our service and shared with us some things he's been struggling with. We left the elders to share a quick message with him about the restoration and they told us it went really well! His name is Anthony and while we were talking to him on Wednesday night he kept mentioning how he was Greek and that he knows how to make all this Greek food. It was pretty funny actually. Then while Hermana Michael was putting him into the schedule for the next day she said "Rake Anthony's leaves," but he thought she said Greek Anthony. He was like, "Did you say Greek Anthony?" And we said, "No, but can we call you that?" He said yes and thought it was rather hilarious. So now the Elders are working with Greek Anthony! 

We had another appointment with one of our progressing investigators and it went really well! She's amazing! This was our third visit with her and she is already in 1 Nephi 10 and she read Moroni 10 which we left for her to read last time! She said that while she reads she feels that it is true and she really wants to come to church! Her only obstacle is that her boyfriend doesn't want her to go. One of the members in the ward offered to take her to church but her novio wasn't too comfortable with that. We're trying to find a time where we can meet with both of them and hopefully he'll soften his heart as we teach him too. Please pray for them! 

We met with a few members this week too! On Thursday night I had the most non-hispanic meal yet with a member. Spaghetti, garlic bread, and cheesecake. She saved the day and brought in some chips and salsa though so it all worked out. She invited an investigator who the elders have been teaching to have dinner with us which was awesome! We shared a message about how God is our loving Heavenly Father and all of their responses were beautiful!  

On Friday all but one of our appointments cancelled. It was crazy but it worked out. We went to the library and got a few things done, then we went to the church and I practiced piano for the primary program for a while then we had to be back in the apartment by 7 because it was Halloween. My Halloween evening consisted of reading scriptures and cup of noodles haha. It was rather excellent. 

Church went really well yesterday! Fast Sunday in this ward is the best. I'm really so thankful I get to serve in this ward and that I've gotten to know everyone so well! When everyone was going up to share their testimony I really felt at home and that I really love these people. It was beautiful. Of course I spent the remainder of church with the primary playing piano for them. It's sounding good! We had a ton of people at church yesterday, too! A lot of less active members and a few investigators! It was such a blessing! I know Heavenly Father is blessing this ward from all the hard work the missionaries and the members have been putting in lately and I hope this attendance continues! 

Tonight Hermana Michael and I are teaching for a family home evening at the church with the ward and I'm pretty excited about it! We planned this game and I think it will be way fun. Well that's how the wonderful missionary life in Chicago is going! I hope everyone is doing super great! I just want you all to know that there's no doubt in my mind that this church is true. I've seen miracles and feel so close to my Father in Heaven and my Savior Jesus Christ as I faithfully serve the people of Chicago. I've felt the greatest joy in service. To see others as the Savior sees them. I testify of the power of the Holy Ghost and prayer. This week we went to visit a family who has really been struggling a lot. I was really lost for words most of the lesson and that frustrated me because I wanted to be able to contribute and comfort them. I just bore simple testimony and at the end we closed with a kneeling prayer. During the prayer the Spirit touched my heart so strong that tears started falling down my cheeks and I just knew that everything was going to be ok and I know everyone in that home felt it too. The Spirit is powerful and it will touch your heart if you let it. I love you all and hope you have a great week! 

Keep smiling,

Hermana Knowles :) 
 
This is really the only picture I have to share this week. It
basically sums up my Halloween evening!

I also love this quote by Elder Holland. Love you all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment